Vegan Salted Caramel Brownies
1½ cups tahini
2 tbsp ground flax + 6 tbsp water (for flax eggs)
½ cup maple syrup
½ cup applesauce
1 tbsp vanilla
½ cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ cup dark chocolate chips
½ cup walnuts
½ – ¾ cup vegan salted caramel (recipe makes ~ 1 cup)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease a 9×9 brownie pan or line with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Combine ground flax and water in a medium bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer and set aside for 5 minutes until an egg-like gel forms.
3. Add in the tahini, maple syrup, apple sauce and vanilla and whisk until well combined
4. Add the cocoa powder, baking soda, chocolate chips, walnuts and/or other mixins of choice and fold in with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.
5. Transfer batter to prepared brownie pan and top with extra nuts or chocolate chips if desired.
6. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the brownie comes out clean.
7. While the brownies are baking, prep the caramel sauce if you haven’t already done so and allow to cool slightly.
8. Remove the brownies from the oven and pour the slightly cooled caramel sauce onto the still hot brownies, making sure to spread the caramel evenly with a spatula. Alternatively, you can allow the brownies to cool slightly before slicing then drizzle with caramel sauce.
9. Sprinkle with sea salt, if desired and place the pan on a wire rack on the counter or in the fridge (to speed things up).
10. Allow to cool completely before slicing and serving.